‘BZ Raids the NECN Weather Desk (Again)

NECN met Danielle Niles has joined the WBZ team.  She has been named weekend morning meteorologist.

‘BZ News Director John Verilli remarked, “Danielle is a great fit for the WBZ AccuWeather team,” adding, “She grew up, played sports, and worked in New England all her life; so she knows the kind of weather our region can deliver and has proven to be an excellent meteorologist.”

Danielle Niles’ first day on the air is November 9th. She replaces her former NECN-colleague Joe Joyce. No word on his next move.

You may also like...

32 Responses

1. BZ Fan 007 says:

One could speculate that the great Barry Burbank is going to retire? If true…a huge loss.

2. Jeff says:

Joe Joyce is back at NECN. He is on this evening, filling in for Matt Noyes who I think has been on vacation this week (Nellie had been covering for him earlier this week). But NECN’s website already lists Joe as one of their meteorologists. Not sure who will end up with what shift, but one might assume Joe will end up in Danielle’s former weekday morning slot?? Time will tell. It would be interesting to know how this “switch” transpired!

3. Wes says:

Why did Joe go back to NECN?

4. John says:

Matt has been moved to weekday mornings according to his post on Facebook last week.

• Jeff says:

Yes, and it appears that Nellie is now on in the evening (starting with the 4:00 p.m. newscast) and Joe is covering the middle part of the day. I assume Tim Kelley will continue to cover the weekends. Tim does a great job – he takes the time to explain the whys and wherefores, and delivers a great forecast without all the hype. I look forward to watching him every weekend.

5. John says:

Joe’s Facebook page says he is the 10 am-4 pm meteorologist at NECN.

6. Jim says:

I would tell Todd to start looking for another job because they are priming her up for something. You don’t hire someone with that education and that television presence to work weekends. As for Nelle there’s no way in Hell she will be primary on NECN

7. Hugh Johnson says:

I really like Danielle but what happened to Joe Joyce? I like and respect Todd, Barry and Joe. The new “Chief Meteorologist is trying to be a showman; maybe that’s what BZ wants, but it doesn’t play in Boston. Look at the other channels, they give the weather as they or the models see it.
    It’s the anchors that are boring, except for Jonathan Elias.

• I love Todd,Barry and Joe Joyce. Eric tries waaay too hard to be funny. Todd did such a good job for the last couple of years,he should be chief meteorologist.Barry is such a nice regular guy and very knowledgeable. Joe got shafted for the bubblehead Danielle.Way to go WBZ -you will lose me as a viewer. I have watched your station since we got our first tv in 1955 (I was 7)
      Bern g

• nancy leask says:

I totally agree-
        I love Barry and have watched him since the blizzard of ’78! also like Todd, and really liked Joe Joyce when he suddenly disappeared from WBZ with no notice whatsoever! I dislike the way WBZ handles ‘business’ with not notifying their regular viewers, of which there are many I’m sure. They don’t take into account OUR feelings about what is going on and I’m ready to switch stations!

• shelly says:

My husband and I want to echo your comments. We wondered why Eric walked in and displaced the hard working Todd and we looked forward to the weekends when we could see Joe Joyce. He is not only a good scientist with a great presence, it is apparent that he is a terrific family guy. Joe is the kind of person we all wanted our kids to grow up to be and a fitting successor to Don Kent.

8. Wes says:

Joe Joyce went to NECN.

9. Wes says:

WBZ has done a terrible job informing viewers on when the on air people leave. In March Melissa Mack did announce her leaving but on her final day. Then Barry had to work that shift for 5 months. Just last month Joe Joyce was on air covering for Eric on October 15. Then we didn’t see or hear anything about him leaving. Then we had to assume he left when they hired Danielle Niles.

10. Jonathan says:

So is Joe the NECN evening forecaster?

• Jeff says:

No, he is on from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. Nellie is now the evening forecaster. Matt is back on mornings, and Tim Kelley continues to cover the weekends.

11. Wes says:

Just because the weekend meteorologists are on air for 2 days a week they work during the week doing other things. So they’re full time workers

12. Richard says:

I don’t get this “Chief Meteorologist” title for Eric Fisher. What an INSULT to Barry Burbank (35+ years of service to WBZ) and to Todd Gutner (who had the 6 and 11 for years). I switched to WCVB at 6 to escape the insufferable Jack Williams. Now, I’ve switched to WCVB at 11, because I refuse to watch the interloper Mr. Fisher. (And at WCVB, it’s time for Harvey to retire and let Mike Wankum step up.)

13. hugh johnson says:

Wow! I feel the same way. Fisher is a dud.

14. Farrington says:

I was surprised when Joe Joyce left WBZ and am happy to see him back at NECN. He didn’t appear to fit in at WBZ but that is just my opinion. Didn’t he leave WBZ when changes were made and he was demoted? Don’t care for Eric Fisher. When he started at BZ and was doing the radio weather spots, he referred to himself as Chief Meteorologist but that has stopped. Barry is great and should have been Chief long ago. Danielle is there from what I hear due to her relationship with another Boston meteorologist.

• Chris says:

I agree Barry should have been Chief Meteorologist long ago, but at this point he is probably looking to retire in the next few years and perhaps does not want to be commuting home at midnight five days a week at this point in his career.. As for Eric, I think he is doing fine, I actually think he puts a little more effort into his weathercasts than Todd did and if you check the blogs on the BZ website, they contain a lot of good info by Eric. Half the time Todd would post one paragraph and doesn’t even post updates half of the time anyhow and people do look to that for detailed updates other than just watching TV. I do agree they need to drop the Chief title. It gives the impression of superiority and he doesn’t have the experience level yet that other Boston Mets have.

• Jeff says:

You have piqued my curiosity – any specifics on the Boston Meteorologist Danielle has a relationship with?

15. robert donnelly says:

I am very pleased to see you on NECN. Hope you are going to be a permanent weather forecaster for NECN. Keep up the good work.
    Robert

16. john says:

Bring Joe back!! I want someone who will just tell me what the weather is in a simple manner. He is a great guys. I enjoyed watching him and Connolly on the weekends. now the weekend news team is awful! I’m switching over to ch 7

17. Christine says:

NECN video of Danielle’s last day there says she’s “making way for Matt Noyes to return to mornings” — http://www.necn.com/10/25/13/NECN-says-goodbye-to-Danielle-Nileswith-/landing.html?blockID=856043
    Matt’s blog from 2011 talks about his decision to run the marathon that year as a way of taking care of himself and show gratitude for having a healthy baby. Maybe it was a work-life balance thing and NECN wanted to keep him there? The change might be more about NECN’s staff than WBZ’s.

18. Dick krigman says:

I like Matt in the evenings, pleasant,knowledgable, funny. He appears to be the guy in-charge
    But even though he’s young, who wants to commute home at midnight and with very young children
    He should be home when the. Kids are awake.
    I like joe Joyce a lot as we’ll

19. George says:

WBZ is struggling rating wise. Wcvb 5 has always beat them in the ratings. I am guessing the departure of Todd to mornings was a result. But honestly who below the age of 50 watches the regular old style 6pm news? Mornings now are a huge ratings bonanza. As for NECN Nellie a nice person but is ineffective as a metrologist IMO.. I enjoy Matt noyes but also look what happened to Tim Kelly.
    Barry Bubank may have been smart thru the years to stay on weekends, who else has last 35 plus years.. Chief metrologist come and go and in today’s mobile age the nightly tv news has become less revelant IMO.

20. Lupita says:

I see a lot of interesting content on your website.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to
    save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique, google friendly posts in couple of minutes, just type in google –
    k2 unlimited content

21. Pat wasilewski says:

Joe joyce. Come on people. He flip flops back forth. Just can’t seem to decide where he wants to go. Also wasn’t him that got arrested not to long ago?

22. Hugh Johnson says:

Tim Kelley is one of the best meteorologist in Boston. I think Barry, Burbank, Todd Gutner, Joe Joyce and Jeremy Reimer do a very credible job and are all first string talent. Harvey Leonard is excellent but looks like he trying to be an on-air talen, not a meterologist.