Lipof Back in Boston, Resurfaces at 5

After a seven year absence, Phil Lipof will return to Boston.  The former 7News weekender announced on Tuesday that he will be joining NewsCenter5 as an anchor and reporter.

‘CVB GM Bill Fine remarked, “We’re always on the lookout for strong anchors and reporters with ties to Boston and Phil fits the bill perfectly,” adding, “We envision him taking on an important role on both the anchor desk and in the field with his experience and connection to this city.”

His exact role is to be determined, however the station did announce that he will be a “principal anchor.”

Phil Lipof’s first day at 5 TV Place will be December 23rd.  No word yet if former 7News anchor Juli Auclair will also be making a return to the Boston airwaves.

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. SP says:

I doubt it.She said she has “changed jobs” and now runs an online blog. Think she’s done with the new biz

2. Mal Tempo says:

Does this mean a principal anchor will be evicted from a seat? or is Lipof a replacement for the retiring Susan Wornick?

3. I Witness News says:

Technically they haven’t replaced Liz Brunner, so maybe Lipof works something like a swing shift, co-anchoring at noon, 5:00 and 5:30.

4. Farrington says:

Wonder who Phil is taking over for. I remember him and his wife too when they were in Boston a few years ago. I think she has a chronic illness and writes a blog and is a stay at home Mom. I thought Phil wrote that he was going to be a principal anchor at night – so is Ed Harding going somewhere?

5. Wes says:

Phil Lipof is replacing Liz. He switched to the 5:00 and 5:30 newscasts so Ed anchors the 6:00 and 11:00 newscasts

6. G Grimes says:

I can’t stand Nellie Caregno… she doesn’ t know the area, the towns, the local lore . I thought she would pick up as she got into the area but she has not improved at all… there is a lot to be said for knowing the history of the area.

7. Al stearns says:

Where is the new wnbc person going to land ?

8. Al Stearns says:

Just wondering who the new person from wnbc / new York is going to replace ? Erika ?

9. Wes says:

I think Erika will end up being the co anchor at 5:00,5:30 and friday evenings with Phil Lipof. JC might would probably only do Chronicle as she has been doing.