Shakeup on the Eye: de la Garza Done on Mornings

After a five year stint at the helm of NewsCenter5′s Eyeopener broadcast, Bianca de la Garza has announced that she will step down.  The veteran co-anchor is moving on to start her own entertainment programming company.

WCVB GM and President Bill Fine remarked highly, saying, “Bianca has been a big part of our success on the EyeOpener,” adding, “For over a year now, we have been discussing her future options in television and she is an entrepreneur at heart. Bianca has numerous other interests and will undoubtedly be successful in pursuing her new career. I’m thrilled her first venture will be on WCVB.”

de la Garza’s new entertainment program will feature a mix of lifestyle and entertainment segments, and a focus on Boston nightlife.  She will continue to anchor the top-rated morning program until May.  No replacement has been announced.

You may also like...

15 Responses

1. nick says:

Life style and entertainment show. Interesting idea. Dont think it has ever been done before.Great idea.

2. Sally Palmer says:

I am a devoted loyal fan to the Channel 5 crew- I love watching the Eye Opener as well as the evening news-everyone on board is joy to watch- really connecting with their audience/viewers.
    Bianca is a model example of an accomplished woman-juggling work and childcare-trying to have balance. I know this all too well having worked full time in sales and bringing up 2 children. It is a power struggle to have it all. I have moved into a new career teaching Mindfulness Meditation and Stress Reduction to adults and children, having gone back to school in my 50′s. I love what I do and feel much joy helping others.

I would like to wish Bianca much success in her future endeavor-I will be following her next move and will be sure to watch. She is a talented and enthusiastic broadcaster. I know she will do well……. Best to you…..

3. Louis says:

I hope they try to get Sarah French from WHDH her talents are being wasted there.

4. Wes says:

Perhaps newcomer Erika Tarantal will get promoted to anchor. It seemed weird that they were putting her on the eyeopener.

5. Chris says:

WHDH wants to be a local version of TMZ.com. Still can’t get over the fact that they led with Justin Bieber’s arrest a few weeks ago on their 10:00 newscast on ch 56. Channel 5 has a much better reputation.

6. Richard says:

All the eye candy (and talent) is gone from Ch. 5. I greatly enjoyed watching Bianca, J.C., and Dorothy in the morning. All very smart and highly talented, but I also found them a pleasure to watch. Now it’s all over. I’ve heard that there’s a morning show on Ch. 7, but it’s not for me. And there’s no way I’m about to watch the substance-free Kerry on Ch. 4. Guess I’ll start sleeping an extra hour in the morning!

• NICK says:

Substance free? Kerry Connolly.She is the only real person on T.V. Bianca refers to herself in the third person. Sugar daddy backing new deal.Sleep all day Richard, If your only goal in watching news is looking at eye candy you insult all woman. You an embarrassment to this website!

7. Al stearns says:

Erika looks pretty fine in the morning – looks like they planned the switch all ready

8. David says:

BTVN I just saw this on http://www.wcvb.com posted this afternoon Hope you can get this on your page

BREAKING NEWS Mike Dowling signs off at WCVB-TV Channel 5 | Contact Us – WCVB Home http://www.wcvb.com/tv/contact/mike-dowling-signs-off-at-wcvbtv-channel-5/24407068 … via @WCVB

9. Al stearns says:

Now mike downing is moving on ? What’s going on

10. NICK says:

I cant get over how Bianca is going to do a show on her struggle with being overweight.I can identify with her because I have struggled with my weight for many years.She is a role model to everyone that cant control an issue like overeating. So brave to step out like this ! Bianca unanchored.

11. Gary Alleyne says:

First Bianca succeeded Heather Unruh on the Eye Opener anchor desk.
    Then Cindy succeeded J.C.on the meteorologist WCVB sure knows how to transition the right way.
    And Olessa has stepped into the breach in fine fashion after Dorothy Krysiuk.
    WCVB sure knows how to transition the right way.
    I wish Bianca all the best in her new venture and thank her for five excellent years bringing the news.

12. Gary Alleyne says:

First Bianca succeeded Heather Unruh on the Eye Opener anchor desk.
    Then Cindy succeeded J.C. on the meteorology side.
    And Olessa has stepped into the breach in fine fashion after Dorothy Krysiuk.
    WCVB sure knows how to transition in great form.

I wish Bianca all the best in her new venture and thank her for five excellent Eye Opener years bringing the news.

13. NICK says:

Update. Paula Ebben from WBZ has agreed ,of course with the permission of BZ management , to appear on Biancas weight struggle show to discuss her acceptance of her own weight issues. So brave.

14. Chris says:

What about Kim Carigan taking Bianca’s place?